Other (Custom)
26%
 26%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 30

DrumAndDestroy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Jan 02, 2008 

Well we have a favorite guitar and bass category. I didn't see one for drums.

What's you favorite drum brand?
 Back to top »
Colton
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Other...

Coffee cans!

DrumAndDestroy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

the pink elephants remind me of a bad trip
 Back to top »
Echo Chamber Drummer

Ive played Tama and pearl,never had the pleasure of playing
DW or Mapex.I play Sonor now and I love it Very Happy
 Back to top »
ToonaRockGuy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Jan 03, 2008 

You forgot one...

YAMAHA.
DrumAndDestroy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Jan 03, 2008 

ToonaRockGuy wrote:
You forgot one...

YAMAHA.

I know...I know. Honestly...I thought about that a few minutes after I made the poll. I forgot a few other brands that some locals play.

My bad
 Back to top »
bassist_25

Post Posted: Friday Jan 04, 2008 

I'm not a drummer (obviously), but I've played with drummers who have used all of the kits on the poll. Each one sounded great with its own distinct timbre. One of the most unique sounding kits, though, that I've ever heard was a Spaun kit.

Generally, though, I don't dig the sound of acrylic snares.
HurricaneBob
AA Member
AA Member

I love my hollowed out tree trunks. Laughing
 Back to top »
Hawk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

DW. But all of the top brands are good. DWs just seem to sing with a nice pure voice.

Custom drum companies that use Keller shells, such as the Maryland Drum Company.

The soon to come, custom drum company. (Patent Pending as of yesterday (well, the attorney is drawing up the papers after yesterday's (1/3/08 ) meeting))........HAWK DRUM COMPANY ! HDC is creating a new line of drums like you've never seen before !
Triple Threat
 Back to top »
DrumAndDestroy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Feb 01, 2008 

i like tama.
 Back to top »
nightcrawler_steve

Post Posted: Friday Feb 01, 2008 

DWs for me. You can make ANY set sound good. DWs, and now there are a ton of other custom companies out there, have a larger "sweet" spot and a distinct sound. I think all but a precious few top of the line kits are using the Keller shells.

I really like my ddrum practice kit....especially for the looks and the cheap price tag.

Here are two companies I have been looking at lately for a new kit. Also, if anyone is interested I have a link to 50-60 some different custom drum companies I could send to you.

http://phattiedrums.com/web/index.htm

http://www.ocdrum.com/drums/gallery.php

These were used on the Blue Silver CD as well as a Ludwig kit for 2 songs. I cant remember the name....custom classics I think...I dunno Confused I also play out with these too, they are 16 years old now I think.

These were used on the EP and Blue Silver CD.

Back to top »
ToonaRockGuy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Saturday Feb 02, 2008 

Steve, you may want to think twice about OCDP. Their stuff is WAY overpriced for what you get from them, and I've been getting serious first-hand horror stories about their customer service.

I do have a friend named PJ Clevenger who is the head builder of Medicine Man Drums in Arizona. He can do everything for you that OCDP can do for way WAY less money. Check them out. If you email him, tell him "screamkevin" sent you. He'll know.

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com
nightcrawler_steve

ToonaRockGuy wrote:
Steve, you may want to think twice about OCDP. Their stuff is WAY overpriced for what you get from them, and I've been getting serious first-hand horror stories about their customer service.

I do have a friend named PJ Clevenger who is the head builder of Medicine Man Drums in Arizona. He can do everything for you that OCDP can do for way WAY less money. Check them out. If you email him, tell him "screamkevin" sent you. He'll know.

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

Hey thanks a lot Kevin!

I checked out his sight. I'd be interested in hearing the OCDP horror stories. Even if just out of curiousity. I should have italicized "thinking about buying" a new kit. Kinda like the little head thinking for the big head syndrome - haha! I'm not sure I can realistically justify buying another kit without selling the DWs. I'd never sell them...no way.

I guess that could be a new topic; "when is enough enough?" Ha ha!

I had to buy all new cymbals 2 years ago cause mine were stolen from Crowbar - grrrrrrrr. I bought them at Dales Drum Shop. I tried them out on a new kit they had just got in. It was all aluminum shells and they were the most beautifully tonal sounding drums I have ever played. I can't for the life of me remember the name of them. I thought they would be overly loud and shrill, but not at all. They were tuned extremely well. I didn't however forget the high price tag. Funny the things we remember.
 Back to top »
Hawk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Steve, if you're looking for a custom kit. Check out the Maryland Drum Company. I've heard the kits and they sound great. I know Keith Larson and he is extreemely knowledgeable when it comes to building drums to match the sound you are looking for.

One of Keith's close friends is Dennis Chambers, who likes Keith's drums, but gets paid big $ to play Pearl.

I know he sells them through the Guitar center in Towson Maryland. I've heard them there. But many Baltimore drummers use them as well.

Here's a link : http://www.marylanddrum.com/main.htm

I mentioned Maryland Drums on Pearl Drummers Forum and one of the Pearl moderators posted that he thought Maryland was one of the top custom drum companies.
Triple Threat
 Back to top »
nightcrawler_steve

Hawk wrote:
Steve, if you're looking for a custom kit. Check out the Maryland Drum Company. I've heard the kits and they sound great. I know Keith Larson and he is extreemely knowledgeable when it comes to building drums to match the sound you are looking for.

One of Keith's close friends is Dennis Chambers, who likes Keith's drums, but gets paid big $ to play Pearl.

I know he sells them through the Guitar center in Towson Maryland. I've heard them there. But many Baltimore drummers use them as well.

Here's a link : http://www.marylanddrum.com/main.htm

I mentioned Maryland Drums on Pearl Drummers Forum and one of the Pearl moderators posted that he thought Maryland was one of the top custom drum companies.

Hawk,

Small world. I bought my DWs from Keith in 92'. A very knowledgable guy indeed! I can't remember the name of the store at the time, but it was an all drum store in Towson. I don't think it still exists.

An aquaintence of mine is Jimmy Chaulfant and I was a very close friend of his brother Jason up until his untimely death a few years back. Amazing guitar player! I played Jimmys Maryland Drums and we've had some great discussions about them and DW. I was able to check them out closely...great sound and craftsmanship. Jimmy likes BIG drums. I prefer smaller sizes. I'm glad you brought this company up as I completely forgot about them. I would be much more inclined to purchase another new kit from Keith and from a company from my old stompin grounds. Thanks!

I think I've heard or read you are a snare whore???? When I pitched the DWs, I wasn't sure what kind of snare I wanted at the time. I knew I wanted something different. I like my snare tuned very tight. I think some kats on here could vouch for that - haha! Keith brought out this snare from a back room...it wasn't on the showroom floor. It was a 14" brass piccalo with a black chrome finish. It is LOUD! When Keith placed the order, DW didnt realize the snare was there. They had only made few of them and wanted it back. They made me an offer of choosing ANY snare I wanted in equal trade for it. Call me crazy, but I declined Wink I paid $600 for it at the time. I can't imagine what its worth now. I haven't played out with it in years. Its far too loud for most of the situations I've been in lately. I'm in love with my Pacific maple with the wood hoops. Man the compliments I get on that snare.
 Back to top »
Hawk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Yes it is a small world.

Keith's "Baltimore Drums" drum shop burned down. That's when he changed the name to Maryland Drum Co. . He got out of the retail shop selling other companies drum. Strictly concentrating on his own.

Yeah, snare whore indeed. Even starting building my own. Keller Shells. I took a prototype snare to Keith to get his evaluation. He recommended me getting a patent for it. He's one heck of a nice guy, taking his time to get together for a couple of meetings.

My son (currently playing a high end Yamaha kit he got from Aaron Kimmel) has wanted a Maryland drum kit for a long time. Shawn's in the production business now and Maryland is one of his favorites to mic up.

Nice DW story. I'd like to see / hear that snare sometime.
Triple Threat
 Back to top »
DrumAndDestroy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

i've seen 2 different maryland drum co. sets at the guitar center in robinson in the last year or so. played them and they sounded great!
 Back to top »
ToonaRockGuy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Sunday Feb 03, 2008 

nightcrawler_steve wrote:
I had to buy all new cymbals 2 years ago cause mine were stolen from Crowbar - grrrrrrrr. I bought them at Dales Drum Shop. I tried them out on a new kit they had just got in. It was all aluminum shells and they were the most beautifully tonal sounding drums I have ever played. I can't for the life of me remember the name of them. I thought they would be overly loud and shrill, but not at all. They were tuned extremely well. I didn't however forget the high price tag. Funny the things we remember.

Steve,

Those aluminum shelled drums are Trick. They are some badass equipment, and have an amazing sound. They also make a pedal called the Trick Pro-1V Detonator that is giving the Axis a serious run for it's money. Amazing piece of equipment.

www.trickdrums.com
Hawk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I played the Trick and Axis pedals at Dale's. Loved the Trick. But are they worth the money ? Too expensive for me.
Didn't care for the Axis.

I almost bought the Axis long board on line (before I ever played one) when I was looking for a direct drive pedal. I'm glad I picked up the Yamaha direct drive instead. Although it is a bit noisy. The linkage "clicks" a little. It plays well though.

BTW I didn't care for the sound of the Trick Toms. In fact the salesman at Dale's said they couldn't get rid of the last two kits and weren't getting any more in. The mounted toms might sound better with a rim mount suspension system ?
Triple Threat
 Back to top »
Hawk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Steve, I wonder if your DWs were made with Keller Shells ? I'm not sure when they switched over to making their own shells. I know they still use Keller for a few odd sizes.

On some of the forums I read that the DW Kellers sound a little better than the DWs of today. Although DWs sound good to me no matter when they were made.
Triple Threat
 Back to top »
nightcrawler_steve

Kevin...Trick, those are the ones! A friend from down home plays the Trick pedal and loves it. I'm very satisfied with my DW 9000. Plays like butter Smile

Hawk...I'm fairly certain mine are the Keller shells. Ordered them in 91' and got them 6 months later in 92'. What a frigin wait that was! They are the old Collectors Series. 3 ply shells with top and bottom reinforcing hoops. They are so thin I can actually flex the kick drum when I change heads. Pretty wild! The serial # on the kick is in the 1600s and the toms are in the 2500s sequentially.

Give me a call...I'm looking forward to discussing HDC.
 Back to top »
DrumAndDestroy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Feb 07, 2008 

Hawk wrote:
Didn't care for the Axis.

i've played one and didn't like it much either.

i just like my iron cobra too much
 Back to top »
CCdrums
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Mar 04, 2008 

I gotta go with Yamaha drums and DW hardware. I've owned 3 different Yamaha RC sets and now MCA's and they all have been of the utmost quality and sound. My DW 9000 pedal and hi-hat are awesome as well. I'd like to check out the Maryland custom drum company though. The endorsements and comments from people whose opinion I respect have all been favorable.
 Back to top »
hardhitter

Post Posted: Tuesday Mar 25, 2008 

I was at the namm show this year and the bigger drum comp are all coming out with new 3ply maple shell drums this year.

THIN SHELLS ARE BACK!!

I have also called Keller and they will make 3ply shells. Yes I'm building my own kit. I hope to be all done in about 2 to 3 months. I will post pic's when there all done.
Hawk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Mar 27, 2008 

hardhitter wrote:
I was at the namm show this year and the bigger drum comp are all coming out with new 3ply maple shell drums this year.

THIN SHELLS ARE BACK!!

I have also called Keller and they will make 3ply shells. Yes I'm building my own kit. I hope to be all done in about 2 to 3 months. I will post pic's when there all done.

I like thin tom shells as well. But Keller plys are already thin. So a 6 ply shell is about 3/16 ". A three ply would only be about 3/32''. That sounds a bit to thin to be practical.
Triple Threat
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Viewer Polls
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: