Other (Custom)
26%
 26%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 30

nightcrawler_steve

Post Posted: Thursday Mar 27, 2008 

Hawk,

Im just curious......

Do you think its possible the plies are thicker? It would seem they would have to be. I did some quick conversions by what you posted. I didnt fact check Keller shell thickness. I think you are right about the Keller 6 ply shell thickness as I recall from checking with various custom builders.

Keller 6ply @ 3/16 = 0.187 in and 4.75 mm

By your proposal a 3ply @ 3/32 = 0.09 in and 2.28 mm

That would seem to pose a strength issue dont you think?

By the same token, the new kit I just ordered has 4 ply (non-Keller shells) Their thickness 4ply @ 6 mm = 0.236 in Therefore, even slightly thicker than a 6 ply shell.

I am comparing different shells made by different companies. So maybe that is not such a good comparison. I would think the plies must be thicker. Less plies combined with a thicker ply means less glue and more wood. Wouldnt that mean more resonance? Sounds like another "hype" issue the drum comanies are trying to sell us on to me.

Thoughts?
 Back to top »
mjb
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Hawk wrote:
DW. But all of the top brands are good. DWs just seem to sing with a nice pure voice.

Custom drum companies that use Keller shells, such as the Maryland Drum Company.

The soon to come, custom drum company. (Patent Pending as of yesterday (well, the attorney is drawing up the papers after yesterday's (1/3/08 ) meeting))........HAWK DRUM COMPANY ! HDC is creating a new line of drums like you've never seen before !

congrats bill, glad that finally came through for ya!

see you tonight!
 Back to top »
Hawk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

hardhitter wrote about the three ply, I haven't heard anything about it nor is there any mention of it on their site.

Yeah, the individual ply would have to be thicker than 1/32" or there would be some structural problems. Perhaps it is the series they call "vintage" like the old Ludwig 3 ply shells. I know Pearl drums have thicker ply.

I don't buy that "glue" thing. Cross laminating will make more of a difference. So will re-inforcement rings.

What kit did you get ?

I'm sure the Keller size is correct : 6 ply = 3/16".

EDIT : I checked, their vintage series uses maple and poplar (like old Ludwigs) but they are 6 ply shells. BTW Ludwig used to use maple on the inside, poplar in the middle ply, and mahogany on the outer ply. With the wrap glued over that.
Triple Threat

Last edited by Hawk on Thursday Mar 27, 2008; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Hawk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

mjb wrote:
Hawk wrote:
DW. But all of the top brands are good. DWs just seem to sing with a nice pure voice.

Custom drum companies that use Keller shells, such as the Maryland Drum Company.

The soon to come, custom drum company. (Patent Pending as of yesterday (well, the attorney is drawing up the papers after yesterday's (1/3/08 ) meeting))........HAWK DRUM COMPANY ! HDC is creating a new line of drums like you've never seen before !

see you tonight!

Thanks Mike
Hey, finally things are moving. The paperwork from the attorney arrived today ! Now I need to read through it (although he has Emailed me some rough drafts). And we're off............. Wish me luck.
Triple Threat
 Back to top »
DrumAndDestroy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Hawk wrote:
mjb wrote:
Hawk wrote:

see you tonight!

Thanks Mike
Hey, finally things are moving. The paperwork from the attorney arrived today ! Now I need to read through it (although he has Emailed me some rough drafts). And we're off............. Wish me luck.

hope i get an endorsement. legit!
 Back to top »
hardhitter

Hawk, Yes the ply's would have to be thicker. I'm not sure the glue is added to thickness of the ply. Reinforcement rings would be a must! Keller will make anything you ask them to.

I do know that there 5 ply is 0.13 inch (3.3 mm) thick. That's what I'm getting. I'm thinking thats really close to the older DW's that used the 3 ply keller shells.
nightcrawler_steve didn't you say you have the older DW's with the 3ply Keller shells?
nightcrawler_steve

hardhitter wrote:
Hawk, Yes the ply's would have to be thicker. I'm not sure the glue is added to thickness of the ply. Reinforcement rings would be a must! Keller will make anything you ask them to.

I do know that there 5 ply is 0.13 inch (3.3 mm) thick. That's what I'm getting. I'm thinking thats really close to the older DW's that used the 3 ply keller shells.
nightcrawler_steve didn't you say you have the older DW's with the 3ply Keller shells?

HH...very sharp PDP kit! They make some sweet drums. I have a PDP snare with maple hoops. Its my workhorse for now and I love it. Very cool you are making your own drums!!! I've been thinking I'd like to take a stab at a snare this spring. Fun!! Drumsmith.com is a great forum for builders. I've learned a lot of cool things there. Go to my myspace page and hit the link and use my screen name as a referral.

Yes, my DWs are the Keller shells. 3ply with 3ply re-hoops. You can listen to them on the Nightctawlers myspace if ya like. Two different DW kits though, one being a jazz kit and a newer non-Keller kit. Pm if you want to know what kit for what song. Anyway, I hope you'll post some pix of your build...that would be awesome Smile

Hawk...great news! You must be very excited! Please keep us posted. I would love to test one of your snares when you get to that point. I have an idea of what you are doing. I would love to see and hear it Smile

I ordered a Dunnett snare and an Odery kit. Snare should be here early next week. The kit about 2 months. I'm thrilled.

Snare: 6.5x14 stainless with Stanbridge hybrid brass/wood hoops.

Kit: 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x12 and 20x20 kick. Araucaria shell, curly maple veneer with custom fade, brushed brass lugs and Italian inlays.

It comes with a free bib Wink

Now I have to wait patiently.

~S
 Back to top »
hardhitter

Thanks, The PDP's are ok. I had to send 2 of shells back. The bearing edges where bad. I just got that kit so I didn't have to take my Yamaha's out to bars. I had a set of Tircks but I really didn't like them.

I go on Drumsmith.com all the time. That's how I got the idea. Some one on Drummerworld I think it was dogbreath told me about the forum. Really good info.

Odery, who sells them in the U.S? They are some of the best looking drums I have seen!
nightcrawler_steve

Post Posted: Friday Mar 28, 2008 

Hardhitter,

That sucks about the PDPs.

I only know of two US distributors. They are not widely known in the US.

http://www.bentleysdrumshop.com/drums.html

http://www.drumauthority.com/

I am trying to get them hooked up with my friends shop in MD, but they are waiting till the kit gets here so they can give it the "once over".

I really like the drumsmith site. So what are ya thinkin for the build? Maybe we can compare notes. Im not nearly brave enough to tackle a whole kit. Im a decent woodworker, but still. A snare is a good start. If I screw it up, then its not that big of a deal. Maybe Ill have the ugliest, best sounding drum in central PA - ha ha ha ha!

Im really excited to see what Hawk has going on.

~Steve
 Back to top »
Jared Michaels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Monday Jun 23, 2008 

I think that all of the brands named are great,but I will always stick with Tama drums. I think they are the best for what I do!
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Viewer Polls
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: