Other...
15%
 15%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 79

Daxman
Hairy Member
Hairy Member

Post Posted: Friday Jan 11, 2008 

Ok, I'm gonna start my first poll here on Rockpage and I can't believe it hasn't been made a poll yet...Which is your favorite Amp company?...Tells us why and what genre of music you play...You can list the model type, but the poll is for the company...This one should be quite interesting, especially for Tone freaks like me, lol...I'm a collector, so I like many different brands of amps, for various reasons...I think each good company has it's place for a specific genre of music...With that said, as for my vote, I'm a Mesa/Boogie guy all the way...I play all types of music anything from Punk and Blues to Modern Rock and Metal...You just can't beat their reliability and construction...Tweaked by the right ears, these amps can play anything...I own a 1992 Dual Recto head (Serial #503) with an over-sized Mesa 4x12 cabinet, along with a 2006 Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo...Place your vote!
ToonaRockGuy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Saturday Jan 12, 2008 

Yeah, I'm a drummer, but my favorite guitar sound of all time is a Les Paul through a Marshall. Now get back to fatherhood, Dax!!
Colton
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

ToonaRockGuy wrote:
my favorite guitar sound of all time is a Les Paul through a Marshall.

You can tell you're a drummer. Anyone have a barf bucket?

60's fenders all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I play music from classic rock to stuff that... well, everyone knows how off-the-wall i can get. check the 'lookin for band' forum.
Daxman
Hairy Member
Hairy Member

ToonaRockGuy wrote:
Yeah, I'm a drummer, but my favorite guitar sound of all time is a Les Paul through a Marshall. Now get back to fatherhood, Dax!!

Listen here you, you, you little drummer boy...Don't make me go get you a Pearl kit! Razz
songsmith

Post Posted: Sunday Jan 13, 2008 

Emporium just got Line 6 amps. LOVE 'EM!
Funny, though, the one I thought I wanted turned out to be my least favorite of the bunch. I like the size and weight of the Spider 30, but the 75 watter sounds SO much better. The Bogner/Line6 tube amps are awesome, and there's a tiny little bass amp that pounds, too.------------>JMS
 Back to top »
DrumAndDestroy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

ToonaRockGuy wrote:
Yeah, I'm a drummer, but my favorite guitar sound of all time is a Les Paul through a Marshall.

Agreed. That is the sound of Rock N Roll I think.

Colton wrote:
60's fenders all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good for surf...no doubt
 Back to top »
Team Transylvania
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Line 6! I want a Vetta 2 head and cab badly.
The Musical Exorcist
 Back to top »
bassist_25

Those are all good amps on there. I have to go with Mesa/Boogie on this one. Every single Mesa rig I've ever heard (at least in a live situation) has been a professional sounding amp. Granted, I've heard Mesas that sounded better than other Mesas, but that has a lot to do with the guitar going through it, the way the amp's tweaked, and of course, the ability of the player using it. Every single Mesa product I've heard, whether a Mark series amp, a Rectifier series amp, a TriAxis, or any number of their cabs, has never left me disappointed.

I just can't get into Marshalls. It is the classic sound, but so's a Jazz Bass through an all-tube SVT rig. I'll keep the Jazz, but put it through an Eden or an SWR. Strange enough, I've always preferred guitar amps that sounded like "better Marshalls," stuff like Laney and Bogner. When it comes to the classic sound, I'll go Fender everytime. Their tube amps just have a warmth and a saturation that sounds good to my ears when it comes to blues, classic rock, jazz, and country.

Regardless, it's utimately up to the player to decide which amp best suits him and her. I've learned that the player and the gear are an interaction, and it is part of defining one's sound.

This has inspired me to do my own poll. Wink
orangekick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I love Orange amps and I'll have another one someday, but it's always Mesa that I keep coming back to. I'm probably going to pick up another two channel Dual Rectifier this year just so I have a backup. Cool
 Back to top »
Merge
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Jan 14, 2008 

I've never played through an Orange amp. I'm sure I've heard one, but I didn't realize it. What bands out there use Orange amps??
bassist_25

Merge wrote:
What bands out there use Orange amps??

Clutch
Wolfmother
Early Black Sabbath
Pearl Jam
Gin Blossoms

These all come to mind. The store down by where I go to college at is a big Orange dealer.
VENTGtr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

TubeWorks. Love it. Designed and built by BK Butler. Now he works with GenzBenz.

Have gone back to using one and prolly always will now.

From everything I've read, the G.B. aren't as good as the Tubeworks. The one
downside to T.W. was the pots gets scratchy over time...and it's true, they do.
Otherwise, it's the favourite.

I was using my Line6 for a while and did like what it did. Had the 30w Spider. Liked
the sound, loved having 4 channels, was light, small, loud enough but sounded good
at lower volume to easily mix. The Wah in the footboard was perfect for what I do.
My CryBaby needs some adjusting to the sweep and I'm hoping to match it to the L6.

Only downside with L6, and from what I've seen on their boards, it's fairly common
in all their models...sometimes they just stop. Just nothing coming out. Can sometimes
fix them with a quick step on the board, turning them off and back on, or sometimes
you have to reset the whole preset thing. Not real feasible live.

Still, I'd like to check out the SpiderValve at some point.

Old Fenders are awesome. Had a '59 Tweed Bassman some years ago. Incredilble.

"You must be this beautiful to ride the Quagmire."
 Back to top »
orangekick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Black Sabbath always used Laneys. That video of them playing Paranoid with all the Orange amps was just made because the place that they shot it had those as their backline.

Orange amps have popped up in lots of places over the years. "Elephant Riders" by Clutch is almost all Orange. The band Hum used an Orange/ Hiwatt mix. Monster Magnet has used Orange a lot.
 Back to top »
bassist_25

orangekick wrote:
Black Sabbath always used Laneys. That video of them playing Paranoid with all the Orange amps was just made because the place that they shot it had those as their backline.

Neat, I never knew that!
nighthawk
Gold Member
Gold Member

i've been using jimi hatt's old line 6 hd147 ever since i got it. before that i ran the line 6 flextone. i love my line 6 and will probably never stop using it unless i get to where i can take multiple amps to a show. i've played around with the spider amps but never really liked them. they have more of the stompbox sound. the hd147 has more of a gained out amp sound which i prefer.
 Back to top »
Daxman
Hairy Member
Hairy Member

Post Posted: Saturday Jan 19, 2008 

What really surprises me is how many people around here are using solid state amps...I'm also curious to see the people who selected "other" as to what they use...I know the selection was small, but the basics are covered.
orangekick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My three favorite amps are probably the two channel Dual Rectifier, Orange Rockerverb 100 and a Sunn Beta Lead. The Sunn is one of the only solid state amps that I have ever heard that actually "felt" right when I played it.
 Back to top »
Colton
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Those line 6 amps Nighthawk has are nice. I've never had time to dial in a good classic rock/blues setting... but if someone could show me one, I might dig'm a little more.

Theyre sure good for the heavy shit tho.
bassist_25

Post Posted: Monday Jan 21, 2008 

orangekick wrote:
a Sunn Beta Lead. The Sunn is one of the only solid state amps that I have ever heard that actually "felt" right when I played it.

My father has a Sunn Beta bass amp. It's a sweet sounding amp, but for a combo, it's a monster. My weakling arms can barely lift it. Its big thing when it was released was the fact that it had two switchable channels. You could set one channel up to be clean and the other one up to be dirty. It actually has one of the best sounding solid-state bass drives that I've ever heard. It's compressed just enough and has a lot of rich harmonic overtones. It's the sound that Cliff Burton SHOULD HAVE recorded Anasthesia with.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn a guitar amp discussion into a bass amp discussion. Embarassed
UNEARTHA7XMatt
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Both of my Guitar Players use Peavey Amps. Joe plays a Peavey 5150 II thru a Marshal Half Stack and James Plays Both Peavey Head and Stack. They used a Bogner while we were at the studio and It sounded amazing as well. Im for the 5150's tho. They give amazing Crunch!
DrumAndDestroy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Jimi Hatt wrote:
Hey, why not? Guitarists have been using bass amps forever. How many amps have been based on the Bassman, for example? Cool

the guitar player from agent orange uses a bassman for live shows
 Back to top »
old Skool
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Jan 22, 2008 

I've been a Mesa fan for some time now. To me Mesa just seems to have that full, thick warm tone. Interestingly enough though the heart of my tone is actually a Sansamp. This one space midi controlled solid state rack preamp can get a ton of different tones out of it. When I added a Mesa 2:90 power amp after it things really came alive. I have a Line 6 Flextone III combo that has been a love/hate relationship from day one. At low volumes the thing sounds great but when I crank on it it gets way too brittle through the mids & top. If I try to warm it up the bottom gets real "woofy". I found that running a Mesa EV loaded 1x12 with it helps a bunch but still doesn't deliver what I'm looking for. Ah whatever makes ya happy, go for it!
RLeahey14
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Thursday Feb 14, 2008 

I'm surprised that Randall is not on the list cuz their new interchangeable preamp system is pretty kick ass.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Daxman
Hairy Member
Hairy Member

Post Posted: Sunday Feb 24, 2008 

Yeah, I forgot to put Randall on there...I just didn't want to put like fifty thousand brands up, ya know?...Randall is a great company though and I really would like to hear the Kirk Hammett model as well.
Team Transylvania
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Sunday Feb 24, 2008 

yeah, lots of amps were left out, but thats ok. were only talking about CERTAIN amps. Laughing
Personally i feel a good guitarist can sound good with any amp. with tweaking and shit. ill never be able to buy a $2000 amp, expecially with not being in a coverband and getting those coverband rates!!!
allthough, maybe i could do it long enough to get an highdollar amp then quit. wait that would be selling out i think. i could always whore myself out.
ill give that some thought.

oh yeah, high dollar amps dont make great players. ive seen quite a few players with expensive rigs that sound like pure poo goo. must be an "in" thing.
i only played one tube amp, and i hated it. not a very good impression on expensive amps.
The Musical Exorcist
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Viewer Polls
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: