· The Forums
· The Final Cut
MERCHANDISE SALES ILLEGAL IN BARS?
Go to page Previous  1, 2
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
previous topic :: next topic  
Zerohdefects

Post Posted: Wednesday Nov 12, 2003 

To conduct retail sales in the State of PA, and in the City of Altoona, I needed a buisness license, and a state sales tax and use license.

You could simply do what Rob said, write off the expenses (also give away your old clothes you are going to throw out, they are nice write offs if you have reciepts. Itemize it to, not one bag, but 4 shirts, 5 jeans. Are they designer? make sure to list that also.).

Should we make waves? Yes. Should we petition? Yes. However watch for when they start making you pay taxes on every CD sold, shirt sold, et cetera.

You won't have to charge a sales tax for clothes...they are needed, but when you file your taxes you will.

Look out, this can work both ways. I see bands selling at the bars all the time.

Here is an idea I think is great. Take a few shirts, maybe an old design that didn't sell before, toss em into the crowd, maybe a burnt cd with like 3 songs, or something similar. Let the fans know they can go to your website and purchase other items off of the site.

Make waves? Yeah, I am way up for it. This goes for anyone, if you have a petition that you want signed, and it is not a BS reason, then count me in, I am ALL for promoting the music industry.
 Back to top »
Zerohdefects

Paying taxes is really not that big of a deal. When you put forth all your expenses.

Claim mileage, not gas (unless you use more gas than this would pay), you get 14 cents to the mile.

Claim food, save receipts, You needed to eat.

Claim liqour, you threw a promo party to promote the band.

Claim expenses, your cds cost you how much?

Claim gear, oh this is the best part Smile

Claim the vehicle used if you can.

The taxes can work for YOU.

Clothes you wore on stage? Buisness expense.

Strings? Sticks? guitars? Amps? Drums? Buisness expense.

However, if they make you pay taxes, and you make claims, then you have to be a buisness.
 Back to top »
songsmith

Zero's right...I do all these things, and have never had any trouble with the Eye-Are-Ess, other than when a club was audited many years ago, and had to issue W-2's.
The gear expense credits are worth the trouble even if that's all you itemize. Most stuff, like cables and batteries are considered comsumables, and get deducted at a 100% rate. Other things like guitars and amps are depreciated over time, but are still a great tax deduction, and worth the extra book-keeping.
I never did clothing deductions, but my tax preparer used to tell me about that and mileage every year, about how much money I missed out on. It really does add up.
Death and taxes, they say. Eventually, you pay, whether you want to or not. Please note that local musicians can and HAVE been audited, and forced to pay back taxes. To the tune of $20,000. Each. They were ratted out by a former bandmate. It can happen to you.------->JMS
 Back to top »
DMFJ03
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Mar 22, 2004 

Alright, so, has anyone found out some of these loopholes that I have just read about? I mean, you can always sell your cd's on your bands website, but the best spot to sell them is in the places you play. Have we figured out how to get our merchandise sold without having to pay out?
www.facebook.com/rootandthefifths
www.twitter.com/rootfifths
www.pabands.com
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mo Lester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Jan 19, 2005 

This is making my brain hurt
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sunday Feb 20, 2005 

Zerohdefects wrote:
... Claim liqour, you threw a promo party to promote the band.

Watch that on your tax returns, Zero. I don't think that you can write off bevs containing alcohol.
kepbugsbunny

Post Posted: Tuesday Jun 14, 2005 

This is just another reason why i wrote "What happend to the Americian Dream". In 2002 living in a two room Apt busting my tail paying my part of the taxes for being brought in to this country, just because I take up space. How about child support witch i would give to my kids, because they are my kids and i love them. But asking the law to protect my kids from the shit that my X had put in their heads to hate me. This why i wrote Evil Mother. The way I see it the law never likes to see we the people get a head. So the law in this matter, just wants to keep us where they want us, living there dreams. So what happend to the Americian Dream? Kevin- 3brokendolls
 Back to top »
K-Skell

Post Posted: Thursday Nov 17, 2005 

what band was ordered to stop their stuff? The Grimm? How can the PLCB stop free enterprise? Or even have the right to stop this? Is this a violation of our constitutional rights?

Doug Pinnick of King's X
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: