Freakin LCB!!!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
previous topic :: next topic  
Bag
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Sunday Jul 27, 2008 

OK, so I go to Memories in Huntingdon, to see a band I've never seen before, called "Vent." They maybe played 8 songs (I got suckered into shooting pool, so I'm not sure exactly) and I notice that they seem to be taking a long break. I look over and they're loading out! So I asked the bar manager (Who has, and uses a sound meter, every night) what's going on. He tells me that the LCB came and fined the bar for excessive noise, and said the band MUST quit immediately. There was no "turn the band down or we'll fine you" or anything. What a crock of shit! They were NOT loud at all. I've seen many bands (and even DJ's) in that place that were WAY louder. About a month ago, they got their first noise violation (that I know of) and also a "serving a VIP" fine that the owner was fighting. You could walk across the street to Johnny's bar and the acoustic act over there was louder than the band at Memories. Huntindon county now has ONE, ONE!! place where you can see live bands every weekend, and the LCB has to fuck with them. I've heard the law is that if you can hear the music from 10 feet from the building, that they can fine you.?. If that's the case, they could fine everyone in my neighborhood for having their TV's too loud! Like I said, EVERY night, when there's a band, the bar manager runs around, inside and out, with his sound meter, checking the levels. This harassment just really pisses me of. Hell, just today I rode in a poker run that Memories put together, that benefitted the Huntingdon Little League. There were about 40 bikes and we raised a good chunk of change for them. The owner of the bar organized the whole thing, fed us at one of the stops, and led the ride. That evil bastard must be stopped!! Confused

And as far as the serving a VIP rule goes, you could walk into ANY bar, day or night, and bust them. I went to another bar (of course Memories emptied out quick after the band quit, thereby costing the guy even more money) and you could've got them for serving about 30 VIP's.

It just pisses me off that the LCB can just "get a hard on" for the last live venue near me. How long till Randy says, "Fuck it! I don't need this shit" and quits having bands? The bar is a clean, well run place too. They have bands pretty much every Friday and Saturday, without incident. I can't remember the last fight I saw there.

The LCB just seems to have free rein... Sad
EyesOfAnguishbassist
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

that is a bunch of bs Evil or Very Mad
Trucula
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Kinda makes you wonder where the complaint call came from....(When you say the place "across the street"was louder.). Friendly competition??..I wouldn't want to think it was the other place because the two places seem to survive on each other. I know when we were there it was packed and patrons seem to flow back and forth.... You just never know if somebody knows somebody (if you know what I mean Wink )
Not pointing fingers, just seems strange from the way you describe it went down. But you never know!
Your right Bag....We're loosing allot of great spots. Crying or Very sad
 Back to top »
CCdrums
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The LCB seems to be like a mafia that no one can stop. If they want to mess with you, they will and there doesn't seem to be anything anyone can do about it. It has killed alot of venues in the past and really makes it tough for bands to play and people to enjoy a good band. More and more things are happening that really make it tough for clubs and bands to survive. The economy doesn't help either....I just hope we don't become extinct someday, that would be a real shame.
 Back to top »
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Its happened to alot of places around here and no, there's not much you can do. A bunch of people tried to get a organization together but the #'s dwindled each meeting and was down to about 4 people for the last one. I'm not sure how much we could have done anyway.
VENTGtr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Bag,

First off, I saw the post topic and thought "Geez, the clowns must've
been out in the force. Turns out....was just us, I guess. Shoul'da said
"Hey". Would'a gotten ya a beer or somethin'.

We've been looking forward to getting back to Memories since last
December. Really liked the place, and along with Randy and Jan, I'd
also have to say that Mike, the bar manager, is really cool and in the
midst of totally being jacked around and threatend with arrest by
these asses, was really cool, and Janette, who was working the door
was really cool as well. They're the only one with whom we got to
speak much Saturday, but eveyone I've dealt with there has been
great.

Anyway, we had a last minute fill-in singer, Brian Storm, from Mia
Mafia, and would like to say thanks a million to him for stepping up
and making the shortest show (7 songs) I've ever played, a pretty
cool time.

ANYWAY, back to the issue at hand, ya, there was a pretty big dinner
crowd so we did a rush setup and just went. Figured our sound guy
would just adjust on the fly and we'd be fine. Did 2 songs, and I saw
him talking to Mike. Bill, (S.G.) came over and said "PLCB's outside.
Have to drop the volume". I turned down a bit (Our backline is pretty
low anyway), Rob did, Jason adjusted. Another song, and Bill said
"Still too loud". Now, this would be odd anywhere because all of a
sudden, there are long pauses in between songs. But, we have
Brian filling in and are sorting what to do next as well. Another
song, maybe 2, and Bill says "Still too loud. I have everything dropped
from the mains, you and Rob are out of the mix. All that's coming
through are vocals...from the monitors.". Now, granted, I sing fairly
loud...but I was singing louder than it was projecting out front. My
amp was on 2, and I have the volume attenutor lower than that. It
sounded like a little transistor radio behind me. Jason can adjust his
playing for anywhere and he was playing as quietly as he could. and
I couldn't hear Rob. Bill's standing there and says "They came back
and it has to be HALF this loud". At this point, we pretty much knew
we were done for the night but I said "We'll do one more song and I'll
talk to Mike". Spoke to him and they'd already been fined for the night,
plus retro for the last 2 times the PLCB had been outside and gauged
them.

And ya, the DJ across the street was louder than we were. The PCLB
told them that if they could hear anything right outside the front
door, they can be fined. You could hear people talking right there.

I felt really bad about them getting fined and this really is about the most
ridiclous thing I've ever heard. Again, thanks to Memories for being
a great place with a great staff. To the PLCB, not sure how to sum
up the feeling for such an out-of-control group of overly empowered
loser pseudo-Stormtroopers, but hope you eventually get over the
penis insecurities, 'cause that's about the only thing that can explain
your issues.

And Bag, thanks much for being there. Hope to see you out there
again and when we actuallyget to do a show.

"You must be this beautiful to ride the Quagmire."
 Back to top »
Ronnyd
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Monday Jul 28, 2008 

Half-Tempted loves the Bar and the People From Memories!
Hope this Doesn't mean the end!
 Back to top »
Mudbug

Barcode tattoos and jumpsuits!!!!!! Control the masses.... It's coming!!! It may take "them" awhile. (They've been working at it slowly for years and years.) But it will happen!!! And there is "nothing" you can do about it!!
Asundor
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

WOW!!!! TALK ABOUT A CROCK OF SHIT. I KNEW IT WOULD HAPPEN BEFORE TO LONG. THAT LEAVES US HUNTINGDON PEOPLE NO WHERE TO PLAY LOCAL KNOW. CYPHIN HAS PLAYED THERE AT MEMORIES SEVERAL TIMES AND YOU COULD NOT ASK FOR A BETTER STAFF. IN FACT THEY ARE PROBABLLY THE BEST PLACE WE HAVE EVER PLAYED AT. IT MAKES ME REALLY UPSET BECAUSE I WOULD BET MY ASS, IT'S SOME ASSHOLE RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET CALLING. SORRY TO HEAR THIS HAPPENED TO YOU ALL. FUCK THE PLCB!!!! I SAY WE GET ABOUT 10 TO 15 BANDS AND SET UP RIGHT ACROSS FROM MEMORIES IN THE FIBERGLASS PARKING LOT, SET UP A HUGE STAGE AND PLAY THERE ALL DAY AS LOAD AS WE CAN PUSH THE LIMIT. IN SIMPLE TERMS. I SAY FUCK THE COPS!!!!!
 Back to top »
BDR

... and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

As Bag said, this is about it for live music venues in H-don besides private clubs and soon Randy may just say eff it. Sad thing is, it's the shit hole across the block that attracts all the negative attention and then the effing agents hear sound from across the street and nail Memories for a technical noise violation that no one complained about in the first place.

I don't think Memories would have problems if it weren't for the other bar across the street. Randy's well liked in town and the place is not the source for problems. Aside from a few bad apples who get banned before they do anything bad, along with unprofessional bands who's entourage has done things like trash the restrooms (Randy told me at his house one day that one "area band" got one shot to play there, then their women went in and graffitied the bathroom with magic markers like they were seven years old ... they won't be back), the customers and entertaiment providers are all top-notch and well-behaved. As was said earlier, the place is really clean and well-run, security is top priority (they even hired a security guard who patrols the outside of the building to discourage any angry exchanges out on the street) and then the state swoops in and saves the town from this evil-doer who, as Bag said, does A LOT for the community at large.

What needs to happen here is what happened in Ebensburg. The borough council needs to take over noise enforcement and tell the state to go eff themselves.

Suck it, PLCB. Your organization sucks and your agents are power-tripping assholes. I'm not even kidding.

r:>)
DirtySanchez
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Asundor wrote:
WOW!!!! TALK ABOUT A CROCK OF SHIT. I KNEW IT WOULD HAPPEN BEFORE TO LONG. THAT LEAVES US HUNTINGDON PEOPLE NO WHERE TO PLAY LOCAL KNOW. CYPHIN HAS PLAYED THERE AT MEMORIES SEVERAL TIMES AND YOU COULD NOT ASK FOR A BETTER STAFF. IN FACT THEY ARE PROBABLLY THE BEST PLACE WE HAVE EVER PLAYED AT. IT MAKES ME REALLY UPSET BECAUSE I WOULD BET MY ASS, IT'S SOME ASSHOLE RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET CALLING. SORRY TO HEAR THIS HAPPENED TO YOU ALL. FUCK THE PLCB!!!! I SAY WE GET ABOUT 10 TO 15 BANDS AND SET UP RIGHT ACROSS FROM MEMORIES IN THE FIBERGLASS PARKING LOT, SET UP A HUGE STAGE AND PLAY THERE ALL DAY AS LOAD AS WE CAN PUSH THE LIMIT. IN SIMPLE TERMS. I SAY FUCK THE COPS!!!!!

DUDE! READTHEPOSTTHEYDIDNOTGETSHUTDOWNJUSTFINEDTHEYARESTILLOPENBUTITSEEMSLIKEMAYBEIFTHEPLCBKEEPSTHEIRSHITUPTHEY may STOPHAVINGBANDS.

INEVERSAWAFIBERGLASSPARKINGLOTSOUNDSITCHY.
Trucula
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I guess we are the "local band" that had 1 shot....Since that happen the night we was there....And to set the record straight only one of us are married and 2 others have girlfriends, all which weren't there. I even made the announcement of how uncool it was on the mic to do that. I didn't know or wasn't told about what was written (this is the first time I was even aware it pertained to us). So to blame "our women" when they weren't sure who did it, is pointing in the wrong direction.
 Back to top »
DirtySanchez
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trucula wrote:
I guess we are the "local band" that had 1 shot....Since that happen the night we was there....And to set the record straight only one of us are married and 2 others have girlfriends, all which weren't there. I even made the announcement of how uncool it was on the mic to do that. I didn't know or wasn't told about what was written (this is the first time I was even aware it pertained to us). So to blame "our women" when they weren't sure who did it, is pointing in the wrong direction.

Being "BANNED" for a fans actions is fucking retarded.
Especially a little bathroom writing. If a club is playing RocknRoll then these things are gonna happen. I've seen places put Dry erase boards in the bathroom just for the purpose of keeping it off the walls.
It's fucking rocknroll at a bar full of drunk people. We're not playing smooth Jazz to the Social Elite at a benefit for the chamber of commerce for Fucks Sake. You're covering crazy bitch, and helping fugly mullet wearing white dudes get some ass cuz' they got crazy mad dance skillz Bro.

While your in there wiping that marker off, get that coke residue off the back of the toilet. haha
BDR

DirtySanchez wrote:

In a former band of mine, two individuals who were at a show because we were there decided to light up a J in the middle of the bar. The bar associated us with the offenders and we were never asked back. The owner gave me hell for the actions of these individuals.

Unfortunately, whether it's fair or not, bands are at least partially responsible for the atmosphere being created and the results of that atmosphere, especially when damage or negative behavior occurs.

And frankly, just because you're playing rock-n-roll doesn't mean that juvenile stuff is bound to happen. It's certainly not been commonplace in my experience. Guess it goes back to the old adage, "one rotten apple ..."

PS: When he told me that story, he couldn't remember the name of the band in question, nor did I speculate who it might have been in my previous post, so I'm not sure why you outed yourself. Confused Confused

DirtySanchez
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

BadDazeRob wrote:
DirtySanchez wrote:

In a former band of mine, two individuals who were at a show because we were there decided to light up a J in the middle of the bar. The bar associated us with the offenders and we were never asked back. The owner gave me hell for the actions of these individuals.

Unfortunately, whether it's fair or not, bands are at least partially responsible for the atmosphere being created and the results of that atmosphere, especially when damage or negative behavior occurs.

And frankly, just because you're playing rock-n-roll doesn't mean that juvenile stuff is bound to happen. It's certainly not been commonplace in my experience. Guess it goes back to the old adage, "one rotten apple ..."

PS: When he told me that story, he couldn't remember the name of the band in question, nor did I speculate who it might have been in my previous post, so I'm not sure why you outed yourself. Confused Confused

I'm not responsible for the actions of anyone but me until my kid is born.

And I agree Rob, rock music doesn't mean that juvenile stuff will happen, but add alcohol and the chances definitely increase. Thats all i'm sayin. I don't condone it, but hey bathroom poetry is just not up there on my list of most immature things I've seen drunk people do.
JackANSI
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Workin' in a Soylent factory, Waitin' for the Malthusian catastrophe.

The weirdest thing was after we had to stop playing and the jukebox came back on... I swear our final volume attempt was quieter than the jukebox, and I was closer to the band than I was the jukebox (obviously).

So its not that we are a wicked-loud band or anything. In fact I have only two or three times come away from playing a show with these guys and had my ears ringing. With no earplugs ever. All times I did have a ringing in the ear we were playing at a place that had house sound, memories is BYOS.

Sucks too cause I was just getting used to Brian's vocals and found that comfortable place with my tone (to stay out of the way of his vocal tone).

I was looking forward to playing that show/bar since April or May when it was booked... Least I got to play a few songs...
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I was told that the PLCB has been harrassing and fining the Newburg Fire Hall for the bands too for no particular reason. The neighbors around there have not been complaining. The PLCB just wants to trump up fines. I'm sure if you stand outside the back door to the hall, you can hear people inside talking louder than the bands. The Johnstown, Ebensburg, Somerset areas have had way more than their share of the PLCB noise gesatpo fining bars for everything from bands, D.J.'s, and jukeboxes, to TV's and in house radios. Many of these places have either quit having any entertainment at all or gone out of business.
 Back to top »
Trucula
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

BadDazeRob wrote:
DirtySanchez wrote:

Well if he said, "They'll never be back", how was he to remember who wouldn't be back? Laughing Laughing Laughing
I wish I could control the things that happen in the lady's bathroom and would gladly monitor it. (How do you get that job???)

I totally agree with you on how some associate with ones action on the "whole band". we still suffer with action of past members even tho 3 are no longer with us. Even tho the whole band wasn't involved, it still lingers. Wink
Hell our old singer accidentally spilled/splashed some beer on a lady running up to the stage (she pushed him down and kicked him in the ribs...she was like 80....funny stuff) They still remember us as the band that pissed the ol' lady off. And he's been gone for years!!

I also hate when two people that hated each other for years finally end up in the same bar and they "get into it"...People say it was the music that caused it. Like Ron White said, "That's profiling....And that's wrong!"

Last edited by Trucula on Monday Jul 28, 2008; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
bassist_25

DirtySanchez wrote:

And I agree Rob, rock music doesn't mean that juvenile stuff will happen, but add alcohol and the chances definitely increase. Thats all i'm sayin. I don't condone it, but hey bathroom poetry is just not up there on my list of most immature things I've seen drunk people do.

I respect that opinion, Brian, but sometimes personal philosophy doesn't always match up with what the reality of the situation may be. How many times have you heard a venue owner say something like "We won't hire Band y because they bring a bad crowd with them"? When someone hires you, they are hiring you to bring a crowd that would otherwise not be there, and they're hoping that it's a crowd that doesn't trash the place or get the po' po's called. Whether we like it or not, as musicians, we are somewhat responsible for setting the mood of the night. There used to be a venue that we'd play (it's since shut down) that literally would have clan wars in the parking lot as we were loading out at the end of the night. We purposely tailored our setlists to make sure that heavier selections were not near the end of the night. That way, we took them out on a "happy note." I heard a story that a few weeks ago, a band was playing a popular Altoona nightspot. The crowd was already fiesty and had been fighting, so the front person had the bright idea of inviting everyone to the front of the room to mosh during a Rage Against the Machine song. From what I was told, the aftermath was not pretty. The sad thing is the band's been around from years and their frontperson should have known better.

I'm not sure if you've been in Memories, but it's definitely not CBGB's. In fact, it would put a lot of private clubs to shame in how well kept and classy it is.
VENTGtr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Not to move off subject...since we are one of them in this thread, it is an unfortunate fact
that, while we're not necessarily responsible for the actions of those who come to see us,
what those people do CAN reflect on us.

And, that can spread further than at just that particular venue.

Rob,

You're right. Since Jason's been on I haven't had one night where Bill's been running that
my ears have been ringing. Bill and I hung out after and a couple of people to whom I spoke
mentioned that the Jukebox was louder than we were by the time we were done.

We've played a good many places with volume concerns and have always been able to
work it out. Even at now-closed TA Tavern.

It was pretty clear that the PLCB had made their minds up before they even got there
that a fine was going to be issued. When it's to that point, someone's getting screwed
and there's no way around it.

"You must be this beautiful to ride the Quagmire."
 Back to top »
DirtySanchez
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

bassist_25 wrote:
DirtySanchez wrote:

I respect that opinion, Brian, but sometimes personal philosophy doesn't always match up with what the reality of the situation may be. How many times have you heard a venue owner say something like "We won't hire Band y because they bring a bad crowd with them"? When someone hires you, they are hiring you to bring a crowd that would otherwise not be there, and they're hoping that it's a crowd that doesn't trash the place or get the po' po's called. Whether we like it or not, as musicians, we are somewhat responsible for setting the mood of the night. There used to be a venue that we'd play (it's since shut down) that literally would have clan wars in the parking lot as we were loading out at the end of the night. We purposely tailored our setlists to make sure that heavier selections were not near the end of the night. That way, we took them out on a "happy note." I heard a story that a few weeks ago, a band was playing a popular Altoona nightspot. The crowd was already fiesty and had been fighting, so the front person had the bright idea of inviting everyone to the front of the room to mosh during a Rage Against the Machine song. From what I was told, the aftermath was not pretty. The sad thing is the band's been around from years and their frontperson should have known better.

I'm not sure if you've been in Memories, but it's definitely not CBGB's. In fact, it would put a lot of private clubs to shame in how well kept and classy it is.

I get it. But it was a marker on a bathroom wall OMG!!!

I've never been to the place, and prolly never will, and that's okay with me.

In the words of the Dropkick Murphy's : I drink in dirty bars 'cause they serve bigger drinks
and I don't own fancy cars I take the train and man it stinks, yeah,
I play music but I don't hang out with stars
and if I need money I'll just pawn a few guitars

I may speak gibberish, but I don't talk shit
and I'm not one for book smarts but I'm known for my barroom wit!

I guess I'm just used to being stereotyped into the bad crowd, and find it kinda ironic that this barowner is gettin a bad rep cuz he's well, a bar owner yet he does the same thing to bands.

Something we can all agree on however, Fuck the PLCB!
bassist_25

When we created PACAG, one thing that we noticed is that this seems to be a pretty localized problem. If you go north or east, people have never even heard of this issue. Obviously, the same ambiguous law is in place for all of the places that haven't enacted their own borough ordiances. Therefore, we concluded that someone in the regional PLCB office is either A). ultraconservative and/or B). is power-hungry and is really trying to make a name for themselves.

As Tony said, we had a strong organization, but people weren't willing to fight. It's sad and is why the "wow, the LCB sucks. What a bunch of Nazis" conversations never sit quite well with me. Well, if it sucks, then why didn't you do something about it when PACAG was pervasive?!?! (I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular at this thread. You know I love ya, Bag!). We were being granted audiences with state representatives. They were taking notice of what we were doing and were listening to our plight.

But right now, the most powerful tool you have to combat this serious abuse of power is to enact local ordiances. Take the power straight from the Nazis and put it in your local borough or township. Get an objective db rating for a violation. Local police officers aren't going to arbitrarily harrass bars the way the LCB does. They're only going to appear when they have to respond to a call.

Randy is a well respected man in the community. I very much urge him to go to his next town meeting and put forth this idea.
songsmith

I'd have to jump in and concur at this point. Memories should go jump through a small hoop at town council with guys he deals with everyday, so that the PLCB mooks will leave him alone. If there's an objective dB level, on a local ordinance, that ordinance takes priority. Problem solved.
As long as musicians who play there understand the deal and act accordingly. I play acoustic music, and don't have to deal with drums, so I'm spoiled that way, but you rock guys have to defer to the owner/manager on volume. If it means you have to adapt your style, don't be inflexible, adapt it. Sometimes you learn from that.
Plus, louder isn't always better. It ups the noise floor on your system, ups the distortion (good in guitar amps, but not PA amps), and if you aren't set-up and tuned correctly, it beats the hell out of your gear and audience ears. I usually stay a bit above the crowd noise with the break CD's so folks can mingle, then a small bump more when the band plays. I usually ask the crowd flat-out if it sounds okay, because we do sound from the stage, and that works pretty well. If the crowd says it's cool, and they usually do, we run with it. That way, if the manager says anything, I can say I asked his/her customers.
All this being said, I'm not criticizing the band in question, it sounds like they did their job the way you're supposed to, just a reminder to give the audio some thought.------>JMS
 Back to top »
Bag
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

The jukebox WAS ABSOLUTELY LOUDER than the band. I meant to say that in my original post. I even said that to the guy I was shooting pool with.

I was told that Randy was already fighting the first(?) noise violation. The man was supposed to be leaving for Sturgis Sunday morning. I'm sure he was thrilled with the phone call he got Saturday night.

Paul, it's hard to back a cause you've never heard of! Your post was the first I ever heard of PACAG. I'm not sure what I could've contributed besides moral support anyway, unless you would've wanted me to drive the tri-axle thru the building to put a scare into them. Laughing

And Brian, don't get the wrong idea about the bar. It's not full of snobs or anything. They just try to keep it clean and hassle free. I mean, if a dirtbag like me can hang out there... Wink Also, when I was the manager of the bowling alley, I had to deal with shitheads vandalizing the restrooms about every other weekend. That shit ain't cheap. About 8 of every 10 times it was the little girls room too. I (and the owner) always wished that we were allowed to just beat the hell out of the little bastards until it stopped. To me, kids doing it is bad enough, but so called adults, drunk or not, doing it is just pathetic.
YankeeRose
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

If the county receives any of the $ from these fines, best of luck to anyone attempting to change anything.

PEACE,
Donna

www.habitat.org www.unicef.org www.savethechildren.org
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: